Saturday 30th July 2022,
North Edinburgh Community News

Clyde pay penalty as Spartans sink Barry’s boys in pink!

Two expertly executed penalty kicks by Kevin Motion, one in each half of a pulsating William Hill Scottish Cup tie, saw Spartans progress into Monday’s 4th Round draw, writes Mark Brown

A crowd of 611 inside Ainslie Park saw Spartans take on League 2 side Clyde in Round 3 of the Scottish Cup with the home fans hoping for the day of the underdog to come true.

It was Spartans who drew first blood in the 14th minute.  The quick footed Jack Beesley out-foxed Ryan Frances inside the Clyde box and it was an easy decision for Referee Stephen Kirkland who didn’t hesitate at pointing to the spot.

Up stepped Kevin Motion who sent Alan Martin the wrong way to give Spartans a one goal lead.

A mix-up in the home box almost handed Clyde, looking resplendent in their pink away kit, the perfect opportunity to get back on level terms.  Ally MacKinnon and Kevin Swain leaving the ball to each other with Scott McManus almost capitalising on the dilly-dallying defence.

There was no hesitation from MacKinnon shortly after when his perfectly timed challenge in his own penalty box saw him get enough of his toe to the ball as Euan Smith looked set to pull the trigger with only Swain to beat.

Clyde pressed hard to get back into the game from the off however a mixture of resolute defence from the home team and lacklustre finishing saw Barry Ferguson’s side become frustrated along with the band of away fans camped behind Kevin Swain’s goal.

It was Swain who was called into action on the hour mark, substitute Scott Ferguson forcing the Spartans No.1 into a fine diving save to deny the visitors an avenue back into the game.

Alan Brown replaced Keith McLeod in the 65th minute. The home crowd showing their appreciation for the talismanic McLeod, playing in his 410th game for the club.

The Spartan Army were back on their feet just eight minutes later after Brian McQueen needlessly upended Willie Bremner in the box and Motion picked the opposite corner of the net to send Spartans 2-0 up and the home fans wild.

Motion was then replaced by Errol Douglas, with the double scorer leaving the field to a tremendous reception from the Spartans faithful around the Ainslie Park arena.

With five minutes left on the clock, there was further misery for the men from Broadwood.  After consultation with his far-side Linesman, Referee Kirkland ordered Clyde manager Barry Ferguson from the visitors dug-out.

Donal Henretty replaced Jack Beesley with three minutes remaining and he was on the pitch long enough to witness a stramash in the middle of the field that saw Captain Sivewright shown a second yellow for his part in the melee.

The dust had barely a chance to settle down before the match official put his whistle to his mouth for one last time and with that, Spartans defied the odds to march on to Round 4 of the William Hill Scottish Cup.

Listen to what Spartans gaffer Douglas Samuel said to BBC Radio Scotland after the match.

Like this Article? Share it!

About The Author

Comments are closed.